Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The wonderful world of Brisket



I am about to venture into the wonderful world of brisket.
I got me some organic first cut pieces. 5 to be exact and It totals about 10 Lbs.
This is the sort of dinner I make once a year for a crowd. You can freeze it in pieces and warm it up for several meals or make a big vat for a fun party. You can make it ahead, slice it cold, warm it up and you have time to spend with your welcome guests.


I will season the meat very well with course grain sea salt and fine ground black pepper. I then dredge it in flour and brown the meat in a very hot oven.



Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
10 lbs. Brisket first cut well trimmed
1 Tbs. coarse grain sea salt or kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup flour


15 carrots, peeled cut in half and cut in half lengthwise
5 stalks of celery washed and cut in half
10 onions sliced thin
1/2 cup peeled garlic cloves
1 bunch thyme
4 bay leaves
1 6 oz.can tomato paste
1 bottle dry red wine
10 cups good quality beef broth
salt and pepper to taste


Method

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Add the olive oil to a large roasting pan and place into the preheated oven. Season the meat liberally with the salt and pepper. Dredge each piece in the flour, shaking off the excess. Place in the hot oil and brown in the oven. This takes 7-10 minutes per side. I brown the meat in batches, 2 at a time until all of the meat is browned. I use 2 pans.
 I set aside the meat on a platter. I then add the onions, garlic and herbs to the pan. When the vegetables are browned ( another 7-10 minutes). I add the wine, the tomato paste, and whisk it in, the carrots, celery and the broth. I divide this evenly between 2 pans. I add the meat back in and I season the whole thing with salt and pepper. I then cover the pans with foil. I lower the oven to 350 degrees. I braise the brisket in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. I turn the meat over and braise it for another hour to 1 1/2 hours.
I remove the meat. I let it cool. I strain the sauce from and vegetables, save and cool everything. I place everything in the refrigerator.
The next day I slice the cold meat. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. I place some of the sauce and all of    the vegetables back into the clean roasting pan. I place the sliced meat in the pan with the vegetables and some of the sauce. I cover it all with foil and reheat the brisket for 30 minutes. Heat the remaining sauce in a pot.
Place the sliced brisket on an attractive serving platter with the vegetables and serve. Pass the sauce along side in a boat.

Serves 15 


Recipe, writing and photos by Karen Pickus 2012
Courtesy Karen Pickus 2012


No comments:

Finished Slaw

Finished Slaw
Ready to eat!