Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pumpkin Pie



I made several pumpkin pies over the last few weeks. I experimented with sugar pumpkins, kakai pumpkins, butternut squash and even sweet potatoes. I used the same formula each time, and the subtle differences were only because of the vegetable used. I like a silky and spicy deep dish pie. This recipe renders my required results. For the filling I roast the the pumpkin at 400 degrees for about 1 hour, until the pumpkin is tender. Then I mash the pumpkin.



I put two cups of pumpkin in a bowl or a food processor. Then I add
1 cup dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, 5 eggs, 1 tsp. each, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and a half tsp. of clove. 


 Then I whirl in a cup of cream, until the mixture is smooth. I pour the mixture into an unbaked pieshell and place the pie in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. The crust should be nutty brown and the top of the pie should be shiny and set.

Pumpkin
Sweet Potato

Recipe, writing and photos by Karen Pickus 2010
Courtesy Karen Pickus 2010

No comments:

Finished Slaw

Finished Slaw
Ready to eat!