Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mamas Meatloaf


OK folks, most of us love meatloaf especially on a cold winters day.
This is reminiscent of my mothers recipe. I have added the ketchup topping because I think it adds a nice finish. I like the rolled oat "breading" because it is a great surprise how well it works and it's not bread. I use fresh herbs, I prefer them but you can certainly use dried.
This recipe is simple and quite good and I have yet to have a more delicious version if I do say so myself.

2 lbs. ground beef sirloin, or ground turkey
1 cup of rolled oats or broken up whole wheat bread
1 cup whole milk, skim milk or chicken broth
2 Tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 eggs
1/2 cup ketchup for mixture + 3/4 cup ketchup for topping
2 Tbs. fresh thyme or 1 1/2 tsps. dried
2 Tbs. fresh oregano chopped or 1 1/2 tsps. dried
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 large onion chopped fine
4 cloves garlic minced
1 carrot shredded, optional
2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients well with your hands.
Make a spicy pancake to check the seasoning. I make a patty and quickly fry it in my tiny cast iron skillet to check the seasoning. Feel free to add more of any of the herbs and spices if you think at this time it is needed. Then I spray a 9x13 inch glass baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. I form the meat mixture into a nice loaf. Then spread the top of the loaf with 3/4 cup of the ketchup
with a metal off set spatula.


Place into the preheated oven and bake for 1 to 1-1/4 hours until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes, then serve. Makes great sandwiches the next day!


Recipe ,writing and photos by Karen Pickus 2013
Courtesy Karen Pickus 2013

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A truly great meatloaf. Babies cry for this!

Finished Slaw

Finished Slaw
Ready to eat!