Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Breakfast Energy Shake


This is the time of year I tend to make shakes for breakfast. They are quick, relatively low in calories,
nutritious and give much needed energy for my very busy life! Just like many of you, I want a quick and invigorating breakfast!
Here's what I have come up with. It is delicious and works like a charm to get me, and my loved ones out and on our way FAST!

#1 You must have a blender. Just a simple one... not too expensive, I even saw a very nice one at my local second hand store for $5.
#2 It helps if you stock your freezer with frozen berries, I use the organic variety.
#3 It also helps to have some over ripe bananas in the freezer.
#4 You must have some ice cubes.
#5 Store the flax seeds in the freezer as well.. it keeps them fresh.

Then here you go.

1 peeled frozen banana or fresh
1 cup frozen raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or strawberries or fresh
3 ice cubes
2 Tbs. flax seeds
1/2 cup yogurt
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
1/4 cup water
up to 2 Tbs. honey (optional, you don't always need it if the banana is sweet, so taste it without first)

Place all the ingredients in the blender. Blend until completely smooth..add more water if necessary to get the blender going.

Serves 2

Recipe, photos and writing by Karen Pickus 2012
Recipe Courtesy Karen Pickus 2012

No comments:

Finished Slaw

Finished Slaw
Ready to eat!