Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Kim Chi

Today I happened to have some gorgeous zucchini picked fresh from my garden, some cabbage and some bok choy, I purchased. With my daughters urging I decided to make Kim chi. I have some hot cherry peppers, garlic, fish sauce and ginger. I love the stuff.. I find it most compelling. I love it with plain steamed rice or grilled steak. My friend thawed some venison he is marinating with ginger, garlic, and soy so in a few days we will have some Kim chi with venison.

This is what we did





3 heads bok choy divided into leaves
1/4 wedge of green cabbage
2 medium zucchini cut into rounds

1/2 cup sea salt
8 cups warm water
First we divided the bok choy into leaves and soaked the leaves in 1/4 cup of sea salt dissolved in 4 cups of warm water for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
Then we rinsed the leaves.




Then we pureed in a food processor:

2 cherry peppers deseeded                
2 " piece of peeled ginger                  
5 cloves of garlic
2 Tbs. fish sauce

Add 1 Tbs. to each rinsed vegetable. Refrigerate. You will have some left over Kim chi.
I am going to find some napa cabbage and add the remaining hot pepper mixture to it today.
It keeps about 4 days in the refrigerator.
                                      


               



Kim Chi is great on a hot dog... I sliced up all three Kim chis and loaded it on the grilled dog with some mustard. Amazing!!


Recipe, photos and writing by Karen Pickus 2012
Courtesy Karen Pickus 2012

No comments:

Finished Slaw

Finished Slaw
Ready to eat!