Saturday, May 8, 2010

Marble Cake




Here is the cake I made for the end of year party for my daughter's twelfth grade class, my friends gave at their beautiful home. Marble cake has special significance for me ... It was the cake my Mom made through the years on our birthdays. I love it and I hadn't made it in some time. My friend who made the food for the party, Chef Bobo, the kids' chef at their school, wanted me to make it because I made it for a school event some years back and he really liked it. So I thought, this will be the last cake I make for a high school event for my daughter. Let it be marble!
I made my lemon cake recipe... I omitted the lemon altogether.
I then made the simple syrup without the lemon and used that to moisten the cake. I made two 14 inch cakes. Each layer was a double recipe.  I used 6 Tbs. cocoa with 1and1/2 cups of batter for each of the two cakes. I swirled this amount into each layer. I baked them for about 40- 50 minutes. I let them cool, then sliced them diagonally in half and had a total of 4 layers.
I made ganache with 3 Lbs. semisweet chocolate and 3 cups of cream. I spread the ganache evenly between the layers and on the top and sides of the cake. I covered the cake with milk chocolate curls, dusted it with confectioners sugar, and there you have it! I got a standing ovation for the cake that evening. So glad they all liked it!

Recipe, text and photos by Karen Pickus
Courtesy Karen Pickus 2010

No comments:

Finished Slaw

Finished Slaw
Ready to eat!